Sunday, November 30, 2008
Night shifts really make me.........
Claps and cheers. I survived through my night shifts. First and second night was quite fun. I tagged along with nice people but not the third night. I followed this SN who apparently did nothing expect for IV meds and reports. I took 8 cases, still doing ENs jobs, took 4H para for the whole team she's in charged including hourly CLC and 2H H/C. Worst of all, a patient collapsed. The team Dr just off DIL/DNR for this pt in the morning and he collapsed in the middle night. He was already found dead, BP unrecordable, no pulse, temp 33.7. The dr still asked for resus just because he's off DNR status. Obviously, everybody knew he cant be saved no matter how many adrenalines and atropines given. I did my first resusciation on a real person. Not really real though. The funniest thing was that the on call dr actually said "I think I need more staff". I think he didnt aware that it was a night shift. only 2 SN, 2 EN (1 went for break), 1 HCA. Of course 2 student nurses were the extra ones. Best of all, the only EN ran away saying that at least one staff have to be at the counter.
The HCA was quite pissed because she says her jobscopes are limited. Luckily she was a nurse in the phillipines and she knows how to resus a pt.
So a summary of what I did.
1. Pushed the E trolley without a air viva because the day shift people forgotten to replace a new one.
2. Ran to the med cupboard to get atropines because the SN says no point wasting drugs in the E kit.
3. Set up the air viva with 100% percent O2 which I lost a mark during sch's practical for not connecting the tubing.
4. Doing CPR without counting.
5. Seeing how the Dr intubated into the wrong track.
6. Called the reg.
Just because of these, I cant finish my report. The last night shift was a dreadful one.
11/30/2008 04:50:00 PM

Name: